Welcome!

I am so glad you're here! I have been expecting you! I am hoping that you can find inspiration as you stroll around! If you are not a follower yet, I hope that today you choose to "Follow" DG Innovations. You can subscribe by clicking "JOIN THIS SIGHT" with GOOGLE CONNECT on the side bar and via Facebook. I am so grateful you stopped by!

Friday, March 30, 2012

COFFEE TABLE UPCYCLE:TO DISTRESS OR NOT DISTRESS?!

Pin It Now!
IT'S FRIDAY!!! Wooohooo!
I have spent this gorgeous day with my little girl running to and fro, of course making a scheduled out-of-the blue stop at the Dollar Store and Home Depot!

After a Pinterest inspired craft FAIL (more on that tomorrow), I needed some DIY therapy...you know...
A little pick-me-upper!!!

I am thrilled with the outcome of my $3 garage sale coffee table up cycle.


My porch is a work in process. Still needs a rug, wall art, lighting and MORE...but when designing on a dime (literally), its all about patience and enjoying the process!

So back to the coffee table!

I think it is the perfect mix of rustic and modern! It started out a plain old 1970's TV stand and now its a great addition to my back porch.  It was on the porch for literally MONTHS and I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it, until we sanded the top.  I loved it raw and undone, but the rest of it wasn't looking the same way and my affections were not the same. So I decided to take the plunge and get to painting...spray painting, that is.

First, I taped up the top (I used WalMart bags and tape) and primed two coats with Kiltz Spray Primer. This took about a full can and a quarter of a second can. 

Next, I sanded with 220 grit sandpaper to have a smooth surface....now what color shall we use?!? Well, after seeing this all over "blog land", I decided to try out Rustoleum "Heirloom White".  I wish it would have come in gloss so it would be more durable, but I love this color!! Really!! 
I can see why it's so popular!

I bought basket drawers to put all of the kids outdoor toys and play stuff (that worked out perfectly) 


and all is well...

...accept..
I am stumped as to whether or not I should distress the white or not!!!

What do you think?


Distress or not distress??

Leave me a note with your opinion!

Blogging in my "jammies" while dreaming of a big bowl of yummy Reese's Puffs cereal,
Love,

15 comments:

  1. I love this! Great job. I like it as is or distressed. Both look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks!! I just can't seem to make up my mind! Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  2. I love this table! What a wonderful job you did...I am a fan of distressing. Only because my two dogs and two year old end up distressing it anyways..lol. Enjoy!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I never thought of it like that! It may end up being distressed after all! Thank you for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I'm thinkin' I like it how it is. Great job on the redo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooooove this piece! It is SO pretty! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nelly, Thanks for sharing your AMAZING transformation! This piece would look great distressed or not. I personally would distress it based on my crazy home filled with kids and pets. I found you through the Weekend Wrap-up Party at Tatertots and Jello. I can't wait to see what other creative projects you come up with!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! You did a amazing JOB, it looks like a totally new coffee table. Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've seen tables like this, but never thought to do this with the baskets. this looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a deal! And fantastic job on the redo! I think it looks perfect as is. :) You're being featured. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great transformation! That really changed the look of that poor old coffee table. It went from drab to fab! : )..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic job, looks great as is, but I would probably distress, just a matter of choice! I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love things fresh, but then I also love them distressed! I always have the hardest time deciding too! It looks great no matter what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful before and after, it turned out amazing!

    Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the good of buying in a garage sale, we can choose the cheaper price but still looks good furniture. Like this one I can't imagine that we can buy it at $3. It looks better now after painting with white.

    ReplyDelete

I ADORE comments like I adore a WHITE MOCHA HAZELNUT FRAPPACCINO and that is ALOT!!
Please leave me a note letting me know your thoughts!!!
Can't wait to hear from you!