Welcome!

I am so glad you're here! I have been expecting you! I am hoping that you can find inspiration as you stroll around! If you are not a follower yet, I hope that today you choose to "Follow" DG Innovations. You can subscribe by clicking "JOIN THIS SIGHT" with GOOGLE CONNECT on the side bar and via Facebook. I am so grateful you stopped by!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

RECIPE: PRETTY DARN GOOD CRAWFISH ETOUFFEE'

Pin It Now!
By NO means am I am chef, but I've been told I can throw some pretty good stuff together!

If you read about my amazingly Good Friday post, you will see that we were blessed with the yummy goodness of CRAWFISH! If you're grossed out at the thought, you can't knock it until you try it! REALLY!
We had tons left over and so we peeled the extra and of course the plan for the remainder is usually a fettuccine alfredo or an etouffee'.

So the kids were hungry and really I was SUPPOSED to start my "diet" today, but Lord knows, it would be a sin to let all the yummy crawfish go to waste!

Can I get an AMEN!?

So I figured today I would share my recipe for Crawfish Etouffee'. 

Down South, most people don't even use recipes, especially for something like an etouffee', but not everyone is from the South! 
Go figure! 
So here is a glimpse into my VERY ORDINARY kitchen at the making of a pretty extraordinary crawfish etouffee' (at least I think so)
:)

(By the way, if crawfish isn't your thing, try this recipe with shrimp!)

So the ingredients are:

1-yellow onion
1/2-purple onion
6-cloves of fresh garlic-I LOVE Garlic
2-cans of cream of shrimp soup
1-can of cream of mushroom soup
1-can of diced tomatoes and green chilis (Rotel)
4-heaping tablespoons of smart balance butter
2-lbs crawfish (peeled and deveined)
2-cups of water
Brown gravy mix or we call it "Roux" (They aren't exactly the same but either will work)
Seasoning
Rice or baked potato
Sweet peas for the side (our favorite)

*Chop up the onions and sauté them with 3 heaping tablespoons of butter

*Chop up the garlic and set aside
*Once the onions are sautéed well, add the tomatoes and chilies (Rotel), a 1/2 cup of water and the last tablespoon of butter
*Once everything is heated well and blended, add the cream of shrimp and cream of mushroom as well as the garlic.
*After about 10 minutes or so, add the crawfish and remainder of the water.
*Add the brown gravy mix to your liking (I usually sprinkle a little at a time so that I don't over do it) or if using roux, just put about a teaspoon in and let it melt. The color should be something like this:

*Add seasoning to taste. I use cayenne pepper, fresh ground black pepper, a dash of garlic powder and salt-We LOVE spice! Sometimes I sneak in a jalapeno...shhh!
* Let everything cook and simmer on low for a while.  Honestly, the longer it cooks, the better it tastes and it aways tastes better the next day
*Serve over rice or over a baked potato is good too...and with a veggie (we love sweet peas)

*Serves-ALOT
:)




I am thinking they liked it!!

Feeling stuffed and thinking I will start my diet tomorrow,

CHECK OUT WHERE I LINK UP HERE!

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY!! I want some CRAWFISH SO BAD!!!!!!!

    OH! And BTW, I made Taco Casserole last night and Nelly...it as SO SO SO good!!! I need to make it again and have y'all over for dinner and chill night :) And of course the best part (even though Evin disagrees) was the avocado...YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get any! So wrong! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I ADORE comments like I adore a WHITE MOCHA HAZELNUT FRAPPACCINO and that is ALOT!!
Please leave me a note letting me know your thoughts!!!
Can't wait to hear from you!